Clipart

Some Rise By Sin, Some By Virtue Fall. ~ William Shakespeare ~

Saturday, March 12, 2011

What Manipuris Love


These are  things that Manipuris cannot live without.  In fact they are identical to a Manipuri's life anywhere.  They are so dear to their heart that life without these food items is impossible for any and every Manipuri.  Wherever they live, Manipuris look out for these things.  Because they have grown up savouring these food items.  No recipe can be called Manipuri unless they have any of the following items in it. Here is showing you what a Manipuri woman probably is busy with in her kitchen at any given time anywhere.
__________________________________________________________________
yenam mana ( Manipuri masala )
A close-up look of "yenam mana"

Yenam mana ( Manipuri masala )
Yenam mana ( Manipuri masala )
A Manipuri should not consume Onion.  This is what their ancestors have taught them for ages. In short, traditionally onion is banned in a Manipuri's life.  Instead they use "yenam mana", a masala plant  leaf  in their cooking. ( Yenam being the name of  this masala or spice and mana meaning leaf ) . Though the new generation of Manipuris  have accustomed themselves with eating onion in defiance of  age old tradition, yet  their social norms still regard it as a banned food item.  In any traditional Manipuri household, you will see this wonderful masala plant called "yenam mana"  being cultivated  in the back yard of their house  with utmost care. Daily watering to their dear "yenam mana" is almost like a ritual.  Because without it they cannot cook their food.  It is so essential in their kitchen.


___________________________________________________________________
Comments from readers:-

Dear Partha,
Good morning! Thnis is Dicky Sinha and I live in Mumbai. I had been trying to get some seeds /buds of yenem mana ( or small plants of yemen) for the past few years.

I grew yp with the taste of that leaf as I being a manipuri fancy those. Sir is there any way you can send me some of the charas ( the budding plants) so that I can sow them in my garden.

I need about 50-100 such charas to sow them in my small yard. I had been trying to get those for years but in vain.

Let me know if you have that sir or if you can manage and send me to mumbai. I shall pay whatever the expenses are.

I look forward to your kind cooperation. Help me.

Kindly accept my warm regards.

Dicky Sinha

dicky.sinha@yahoo.com
dated June 26, 2014       5:42 am












.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...